Welcome to Year 1
|Click on the photo to access the class blog.|
Please click here to view our maths guidance for home learning (Spring 01).
YEAR ONE CURRICULUM
Learning Challenge Curriculum
What’s brilliant about Burley?
This geography theme will help to develop early fieldwork skills. We will be looking at our local area and exploring the features and landmarks that make it special, including making our very own map of Burley. As part of the topic, the children will be identifying
seasonal and daily weather patterns in the United Kingdom and investigating how the weather changes with each season.
We will ask:
- When I walk around Burley, what do I see?
- Can I explain where I live? What is my address?
- What changes do we see in Burley with each season?
- What would you need to do to become the next weather presenter?
How can we keep the meerkat dry?
Year 1 will be continuing to investigate a range of materials, distinguishing between an object and the material from which it is made and comparing everyday materials. They will be trying to answer the following questions using their enquiry and investigation skills:
- Can you make shelter out of either paper, sticks or Lego for Sunny the meerkats?
- Which is the best material to make an umbrella?
- Can you compare and group everyday materials by thinking about how they behave?
Having developed an understanding of our place in the world and where we are on the map, we will be continuing our topic, comparing our local area with Ilkley in Queensland, Australia. As well as exploring the different geographical features in Australia, we will be considering the impact we have on the environment and how we can help protect our planet. We will be thinking about:
- What is the Great Barrier Reef?
- What is the climate like in Ilkley, Australia?
- How are the two landscapes different?
- Which animals would you find living in the wild in Australia?
- Can I create Australian Aboriginal dot art?
For the long term plan of the learning and curriculum, please click here.Please click here to view the welcome booklet for Year One 2018
Calling all volunteers!
Last year the children enjoyed and greatly benefitted from numerous parent volunteers who supported our curriculum themes, reading and invaluable school trips. This is a real strength of our school, and one which we are very keen to continue! Please do get in touch if you think you can help in any way.
Phonics Screening Check
All children in Year 1 are required to complete a phonics screening check. It is not a formal test and your child will probably not even realise that it is one. We aim to keep it short and fun and usually find that the children enjoy spending time playing the word ‘games’ with their teacher. Attached is an information sheet about how and when the check will be administered. For further information, please click here.
Information about how we complete the check at Burley Oaks can be found here.